Header Ads

Captain Wayne Rooney 'Fed Up' With Constant Speculation Over Starting Position In England Line-Up

PAUL ELLIS / Getty Images
Wayne Rooney has revealed that he is fed up of constantly being asked about what position he is set to play for England, 90min reports.
The Three Lions captain said that he has never gone above any England manager’s head to demanded to play in a specific role while on international duty.
Rooney’s place in England’s starting lineup has come in for scrutiny in recent months after the 30-year-old was deployed as a centre midfielder under former boss Roy Hodgson – while Sam Allardyce claiming after his sole game in charge that it was ‘not for him to say’ where Rooney played.
The Manchester United star began his career as a striker, but has figured in the number 10 role, as well as further back on the pitch, in recent internationals in a bid to decide what position he is most adept at.
However, the former Everton starlet claimed he was tired of consistently being questioned over where he would line up for England.
He said:
“I don’t know (where I’ll play). That’s a question for (England manager) Gareth (Southgate).
“It’s getting a bit tired of whether I’m going to play striker, midfield, No.10.
“I’ve answered many times and every time it’s the same – I’ll play where the manager wants me to play. I’ve never picked myself.”
In contrast to his international appearances, Rooney has had to contend with a place on the substitutes’ bench over the past couple of weeks for Manchester United.
The Red Devils skipper was dropped to manager Jose Mourinho for the Premier League matches against Leicester City and Stoke City, but he insisted that he is working hard to regain his place in the Portuguese’s side.
He continued:
“You want to play. It’s my job – I love football I love being involved. I’m not starting at the minute but till have to work hard to get back in the starting XI. And when I get my chances I need to take them.”

No comments

Powered by Blogger.