Header Ads

Nedum Onuoha Open To Nigeria Call-Up, Celebrates Olympic Eagles Bronze

Onuoha


QPR defender Nedum Onuoha says  it will be great to represent Nigeria but admits he might not get the chance to play for his country of birth again, reports Complete Sports Nigeria reports .


The 29-year-old reportedly turned down the chance to play for the Super Eagles when he was younger and considered to be a top player, instead opting to wait for a senior England call after playing for their (England’s) U-21s.

The QPR skipper however rubbished the claim, stating  that he was let down by some people and also hinted that the desire to put on the green no longer burns brightly.
“There was a time in the past where I did have the opportunity with Nigeria, it was really on one occasion,” he told getwestlondon.co.uk.
“Since then I’ve had a few false dawns with some people saying they can sort this out and that out, but it has not happened and I’ve enjoyed the club side of football.”
“It is not that important to me to be honest. If I was to receive a call- up then that would be great and there would be a decision to make, but I’ve not received one.”
The versatile defender also revealed his love for the Nigerian teams as exemplified by his commitment to the U-23 side that won bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic Games.
“I’m happy to be a fan for now,” he added.
“I kept an eye on the boys at the Olympics where they always seem to do well.”
“For anyone like me who was born there you hold the success of your nation close to your heart and like to see them doing well. Unfortunately, the gold medal was not to be.”

No comments

Powered by Blogger.