Header Ads

VIDEO: Lionel Messi Returns To International Football With Masterful Goal In Win Over Uruguay

JUAN MABROMATA / Getty Images
Argentina forward Lionel Messi announced his return to international football with a superb solo goal in his side’s 1-0 over South American rivals Uruguay on Thursday night, 90min reports.
Approaching the half-time break, the game remained goalless until Lionel Messi regained possession with a clever flick following an attempted clearance from Uruguay centre-back Diego Godin, before spinning away from three or four defenders and finishing past goalkeeper Fernando Muslera with a deflected effort from outside the box.
Messi was cheered emphatically on his return to the Argentina side, after it appeared that his international career was over following his retirement after his country’s failure at the latest Copa America. Messi has since gone back on that decision, and returned to the side on Thursday, helping Argentina to beat Luis Suarez’s Uruguay in a tight affair.
And, reflecting on his decision to retire, Barcelona star Messi has claimed that he did not mislead anyone with his premature decision to hang up his boots for Argentina.
“I am very grateful [to return to Argentina’s team]. But I did not deceive anybody when I retired, I felt that,” Messi told TV Publica as reported by Four Four Two.
“We were very disappointed with what had happened, but after that I thought better. I had a conversation with the Paton [Bauza] and the people as well accompanied me through it.”
Despite his heroics on his return, Messi picked up an injury during the game and may be out of his side’s next fixture against Venezuela.
“I don’t know if I will play against Venezuela, I have a lot of pain in my groin but I wanted to be here after the disturbance I caused.”

No comments

Powered by Blogger.