Header Ads

Atletico Madrid Captain Gabi Signs New 1-Year Contract Extension

Scott Barbour / Getty Images
Atletico Madrid have announced the signing of team captain Gabi to a new one-year contract extension. The new deal will take the midfielder up to 2018 with the La Liga side, 90min reports.
The club made the announcement via their official website, and a statement on there reads: 
“Gabriel Fernández, Gabi, has renewed with our club for another season. The red and white captain signed his new contract, which extends until June, 2018, so he will be a part of the team that will inaugurate our new stadium next season.”
Gabi is a product of Atleti’s youth system, but has spent time away on loan at Getafe. He was also sold to Zaragoza in 2007, but returned to the club in 2011.
Since his return, the 33-year-old has been an important figure in the side, and helped his team win the La Liga title two seasons ago.
 “It’s a great challenge to be able to be in the team when we move to the new stadium,” he remarked.
“A new and exciting stage starts for the club and being the captain of the first team in a moment that will go down in history is a source of pride for me.
“I am very happy to continue one more year at home. I always say that playing with Atlético de Madrid was my childhood dream, so I cannot ask for more than what I am living these years. I Also want to thank the fans for their unconditional support both for me and for the team.”

No comments

Powered by Blogger.